SPO600 - Lab 3 Planning

 


This blog post is for my SPO600 class I am participating at Seneca College, this is related to Lab 3 detailed HERE.

This will be a short post just to get my ideas and tentative plans for my lab 3 out and on paper so to speak. The objective is to write a program or game using assembly within the provided 6502 Emulator.

What Will I Make?

There are many directions we can take this lab, it's very open ended, and that's the way I like it. We are given the option to make anything as long as it "calculates or converts a value". This is including video games, and as an avid video game player, the choice is obvious.

Time to make a video game.

Now for the most important question, what game will I create? Well since this is merely a lab I will not be trying to reinvent the wheel, right? That would be the safe option, wouldn't it? How do you even reinvent the wheel, anyway...

 

 

The Wheel

Now all jokes aside, I know exactly how I will reinvent 'the wheel' and this wheel is named 'Pong'. This will not be groundbreaking, and I have actually done this before. The first and only Python program I ever created was pong, with a catch. This game of Pong was played vertically instead of horizontally. Now of course this doesn't add much in the way of complexity, I am not truly reinventing the wheel, at the end of the day it's just 'Up-and-Down Pong' as I took to calling my frankenstein Pong back in high school. After seeing Pong mentioned in the lab description memories came flooding back and I immediately understood where I was headed.

I think this will be my goal for lab 3, to recreate one of my fondest early programming memories in what I expect to be a significant challenge in assembly programming.

 


Backup Plans

Aside from this, a brief consideration was investigating the possibility of recreating 'Snake'. Snake was another adventure I had early when I began programming in high school and that would be another fond stroll down memory lane with a challenging twist in the 6502 emulator. The final consideration is a fallback plan I have, just in case. If creating a game for this lab proves more time consuming than a lab project should be, I will fall back to a simple calculator. The lab specifies an adding or subtracting calculator, and I believe my plan would be to investigate making one to handle both.


This post is the first part of the lab 3 journey, so I will see you in the next part! 

Off to turn Pong upside-down.

Comments